Monday, February 1, 2010

Yet another milestone crumbles


Today I plumbed for the first time! So there I was, I had just flushed the toilet (a half flush for number ones…) and the cistern normally takes a few seconds to fill up again. I noticed that today the thing just carried on filling. So I jiggled it… the cistern handle, hoping that the plunger thingy had just got stuck open or something, before leaving. On my return there was the sound of the old cistern STILL filling up. Now I knew I had to get my hands dirty (not literally) or admit defeat and phone a plumber.



“Hah! What kind of a scientist can’t figure out and repair a simple flushing mechanism after all” I said to myself.



I rolled up my sleeves opened the cistern lid and peeked inside.


*sniff sniff* nope, not smelly… clean water, therefore no gloves needed. I noticed that when I flushed the floaty orange ball thingy didn’t go down. So I prodded it before it decided to simply fall off…metal bar and everything.



“Oh Shite!” I thought I would have to get a plumber now for sure. No wait, “What kind of a scientist can’t figure out and repair a simple flushing mechanism after all” I said to myself (again). I proceeded to try refit the old ball and bar to the toilet tap valve thingy.



Up

Down

Left

Right

Bit more force…

No luck

Call a plumber…?

NEVER!!!


So I decided to screw off the orange ball bit to be able to get more of an angle. I slotted the old bar right into place, screwed the ball back on and Bob’s your uncle she was working fine just fine. I even wanted to take a picture of this wonderful occasion “my first (successful) plumb” I wanted to entitle it. Then I thought, “Why would anyone want to see a photo of me with my hands in a toilet cistern, that’s just silly”. So instead I’m awarding myself a badge.


4 comments:

Luke said...

Well done dear boy! That's quite an achievement! I've had to do plumbing before with my dad. It was frustrating and only partially successful...

As it stands though, I think we succeeded in sealing the pipe properly; either that or the drainage of the wall is really good and scoots all the water away from the leak before we notice it...

EEbEE said...

Thanks!
my views are, if the toilet doesn't smell like excrement after a day or two, then the job was a success!

many people just succumb and put empty ice cream containers under a slow leak. It almost like that space under the outlet pipe of a loo was made for an ice-cream tin.

sarah said...

would you like to come try my loo??

tis all fancy and has all these buttons i am too too too scared to push

EEbEE said...

Japanese toilets are AMAZING!

wouldn't mind a go... i'd probably only be brave enough wearing some sort of nut protection though...