Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Excerpt from my book

Despite what some may think, I am taking this book business rather seriously. The story is coming along quite nicely in fact. Okay it does need tightening up and there are loads of places where I just have 'fill in more details on the history between William and Ms Jane's dog...'.


All in good time I guess.


Okay I don't want to give too much away but Luke is a biology teacher for the grade eight class at Acorn Valley High. Teaching is really just a filler for him, he leads a much more sinister life after school hours. Let's just say some superhuman (but not impressively so) powers come into the picture... I'll leaving you with this excerpt.


‘Okay class, I’ve marked your tests from last week. The class average is 23 percent. It’s a bit lower than the previous one because most of you had no idea how pancreatic enzymes affect blood sugar levels in people with type two diabetes…’. Most of the students frown directly at their teacher or mutter something inaudible as he walks past after distributing scripts. All of their eyes go dark, almost black; the intense stares send a shiver down Luke’s spine. ‘Do I have to go through with this every time I return one of their tests’ he thinks?

A bell rings and the sound of hundreds of chairs simultaneously being dragged backwards on hard wood floors and student chattering fills the air throughout the school. A dark haired boy wearing an expression of frustration stops in front of Luke and points a pencil at his forehead ‘AVADA KEDAVRA!’ he shouts. Luke and the dark haired boy stand and stare at each other in silence for a few seconds before the boy starts backing away to the door with a slightly confused and disappointed expression on his face. He turns and runs off.

2 comments:

Helen said...

That's awesome! When you publish I will by a copy and you will ahve to autograph it for me! We can even take a cheesy photo together...

sarah said...

ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

yes

props