Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Joy from Arb

Today I had writer's block. I was working so well too. I put some Enya on and just went for it.

All of a sudden I found myself retyping the same sentence 30 times over just looking for the best wording. It was 15:00 when I started correcting this sentence I looked at the time when I was finally done with it and it was 15:30!!!

I find myself in a strange situation here. I'm overdue handing in my thesis so I feel the need to sit at my desk and work no matter what the costs. Yet there comes a point when one stops accomplishing anything. You just sit there and check e-mail over and over again. I've even looked through the email titles in my Gmail spam folder on one occasion (I was quite disgusted, I'll not be doing that again in a hurry). In any case every time I have a writers block I find myself doing some mindless activity without even realising.

Todays mindless activity was making authentic fart noises with my mouth and hands to the tune of Enya's Orinoco Flow. It was fun (and if I might say so, I thought I was quite good at it...where's that microphone when you need it?). It's a good thing everyone else in the office is away on vac. I know I would be rather concerned if I heard one of my office mates farting to the beat of Orinoco flow.

Am I going crazy or is it common for people to do weird stuff when they have writer's block?
According to Wiki, writer's block can be associated with Bipolar disorder, mania, brain tumours, hypergraphia (the need to write non stop...) and depression. GEEZ!

Sail away
sail away
sail away...

3 comments:

Helen said...

And hypochondria?

EEbEE said...

That reminds me of Melman from Madagascar. Just saw the second movie this week, it's quite good but not up to the first one (as always).

sarah said...

the japanese LOVE Enya....

bleugh...

yuck yuck yuck

please mail me an easter egg