Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Soap opera madness?

I’ve always ripped on women for watching soap operas (or soapies). Don’t rip my head off just yet, I know loads of women that despise soapies and admit that I’m making huge assumptions here. Still, it’s my blog, I shall assume away with no further deliberation.


Soapies REALLY confused me, how could someone possibly spend so much time following the completely unspectacular, annoying and obviously FAKE life of a soapy character? I’m quite happy to put up with and occasionally enjoy a show that is fake and doesn’t hide it; even some reality shows are bearable. But soapies try so hard to fake reality that it completely destroys any sense of immersion into the plot. The fact that plots are so shallow and disturbingly mundane doesn’t help either... For instance, people don’t talk aloud to themselves when they are alone, reality doesn’t split society into good guys and bad guys (90% of people are just plain ‘neutral don’t give a crap’ guys) and we definitely don’t come back to life after having been killed off once. I could easily go on for another few pages on this topic; alas there is another more significant point to be made regarding soapies.


Soap Opera Digest!!!??? Holy Crap!


Back when I was at Wits University, and living with my gran, I would sit and chat with her after campus. We would happily converse about the good old days, recipes, her health and such, you know, usual old people talk… In any case our happy conversations would last exactly till (and not one second longer) the Days of Our Lives started on TV. My gran would instantly switch over to soapy mode.


For example (imagine grannies voice NOW): “…so my mother used to make white people food because, (queue days of our lives theme song) That Sami is such a Bitch! You should see what she did to Kerry…”


I’d sit around for a few minutes to be polite before ‘going to the kitchen for a snack’/‘needing to meet some friends’/ ‘going for a long toilet break’. What I didn’t count on was the fact that those minute doses of soapy culture together with observing my grannies behaviour made me realize the point of it all.


In fact what I came to realize was a bit scarier than a mere rudimentary understanding of why people of sane mind watch these programs. This stuff goes deep into human nature, the origins and development of conflict, violence, poverty, education, peer pressure… all stuffed into one super-concentrated energy drink we call a television. A blog post cannot possibly give this subject the attention it needs.



…I’m glad I realize this now (as in, this very second). I must end this post before my head explodes trying to explain it all to you. I haven’t even started and I’ve nearly reached my word limit.



So, about the very significant point I wanted to make about soapies… I won’t put it in here because it just wouldn’t make sense any more. Instead, I will end off with a bit of a conclusion (just to give you that sense of completion).

My opinion of people that watch soapies has changed from:


“You’re a bunch of desperate, lifeless, loonies” to


“You watch that soapy, you probably need it”.


You have a brain; just use it to fill in the bits of reasoning between those two statements. Sorry for the build up to nothing… again. I promise I’ll try to finish the next post.

7 comments:

EEbEE said...

This was originally supposed to be a post on the fakeness of wrestling (a request by the Raven Disciple). I got side tracked... wrestling is basically a soapy for guys.

It fits into the same category.

Feel free to give me topics to post about. I'll do my best, to try stick to them ;)

Helen said...

I love watching wresling! It's so funny! And I only ever see it at the gym so I've never heard the commentary or anything so I get to make up my own...

I watched a soapie once, it was boring. I tried again about 2 weeks (so 10-12 episodes later) and nothing had happened in the plot, so I gave up.

sarah said...

never watched a soapie, but i once watched a LOT of dallas with my gran. sabc 3 showed it during lunch time one summer vac

is dallas a soapie?

i hated it though... it was doff and the hair was too big

Karin said...

Haha WRestling is the soapie for guys isn't it..so funny coz thats what i think. I love watching soapies, i must admit, but the american ones irritate me a bit. They draw me away from my problems and show me that mine aren't so bad. Lately they have been kak though. I live SA soapies, much more interesting :) go ahead and laugh

EEbEE said...

EXACTLY helen! they progress soooo slowly. It's mainly because a typical 30 min slot consists of
7 mins of 'previously on....'
10 mins of adverts
3 mins of credits
4 mins on 'coming up next on...'
which leaves... 6 mins of new material every episode!!!

!!!!

come to think of it sarah, i used to watch dallas with my mum AGES ago. can't remember anything that happened. not ONE thing. except the theme song... da DAA da DAAAA do DO DOO DOOO DOOOO DOOO Doo, doo DEE doo DO DOO DOOO...

I've heard that SA soapies are way better than US ones from other ppl too Kazz. I can't comment on this since i've not been exposed to them. all i can say is that if you do HAVE to watch a soapy, why not support SA ones... I'll still take this opportunity to point and laugh at you though *HAH!*

Unknown said...

I think people who watch soap operas are basically wishing and hoping for something more fairytale like in their life, as these stupid soaps always have the stupid ending of the good gal winning her dream guy..it gives people hope that need it..funny..you get those lame silly individuals who actually try incorporating the soapy in to their life...fine take a few ideas to enhance certain aspects of your relationship..but really now..the effects it has on our day and age..i.e kids is pathetic...this is what you have.."an 8 yr old trying to be sami because her older sister is much more beautiful than what she is"..what happened to cartoons? Billy and Mandy...thats eductaional....sorry fir getting carried away..

EEbEE said...

I pity the 8 year old that chooses Days of our Lives over cartoons.

the sad truth is, there simply aren't enough choices on national TV. It's Days, Xhosa sesami street or outsurance informercials. SABC ruined TV for South Africans!

and those B@$T@rD$ still insist on everyone paying a TV licence (GRRR!)
(this is another post altogether)