Monday, January 11, 2010

Views on smelly emotions


I know it’s only natural to be attracted to certain smells (perfumes, food, coffee, baking…). It’s almost like some invisible force has lassoed you by the nose and has decided to reel you in. It can happen so quickly too. For example, I’ll be walking past a bakery without a thought of going in to buy anything before, “WHAM!” (fresh cheese bagel smell) first my eyes widen, then my head will turn toward the direction of the source and before I know it I’m walking out the place choking on drool while carrying a bag of goodies. I become like Gollum clutching onto the one ring after that. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if I subconsciously scowled at a few random innocent bystanders and stroked the bag on the way to my car (yes, I’m THAT helpless when it comes to fresh bread… don’t judge me).


(Ignore the ferret in that bagel... my Photoshop skills have some way to go.)



It all sort of makes sense when you think about it. There is often a nice reward associated with good smells… now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that a ladies nice perfume for example is positively linked to the size of her…eyes. I will concede, however, that most men (ones that don’t use moisturizer on their hands at least) are likely to turn their heads in the general direction of a lovely feminine scent to… look for potential; simply because if something smells pretty, it may just look pretty too.


(pauses to think)


Okay okay, rereading the last line of the previous paragraph, I realise how this point of view could be perceived as shallow and possibly lead readers to think that I’m some sort of fetish driven pervert. Before you jump to false conclusions about me please look at yourself and think about the last time a beautiful scent of perfume or cologne wafted past you in a corridor. Now nod in approval as you remember how helpless you were when you turned to look at the source of the fragrance. GUILTY I SAY!!! At this point you will find that you either turn back in shame (us modest lot do this…) or you look again to take in the details and fantasize about how that person would look drenched in vanilla custard.


(b.t.w. if you nodded for that second part then you are in fact a sick and freakish weirdo… go get help, it may not be too late).


My apologies if this post seemed a little rambly up to this point. I am in fact building up to the big question and slightly confusing situation I find myself in. You see I think smells help us to form a sort of emotional link to their respective sources. I think it has something to do with the familiarity and positive/negative feedback associated with a smell that makes it have so much control over a person.


This is exactly the reason I can’t understand what it is about the smell of pencil sharpenings (yes, good old fashioned wooden pencil shavings) that draws me to them?


There is something about that quite distinctive smell that I really REALLY like. If they ever sold essence of pencil sharpening or aerosol in the shops, I would totally go out there, buy the stuff and proceed to douse all of my stationery and office desk drawers with it. Heck I’d probably even eat a pencil sharpenings flavoured muffin!



Why?



I haven’t the slightest clue… this is where I was hoping my readers would be able to help me. Is it just me or is there anyone out there with a similar affection for a completely random smell. (Then again, maybe I do need help…).


5 comments:

sarah said...

ahahahahaaa ferret in the bagel. mmmmm ferret bagel.

hm. well, after living in japan for so long, i have become averse to strong smells. here, everyone hates strong smells. and nobody wears perfume. well, its frowned against.
its actually in my contract not to wear perfume to school. which is odd

but i still love a small whiff of cologne on a man

and i read somewhere intellectual (cosmo??) that vanilla is the sexiest smell for a man. all men love a slight vanilla smell on a woman. is this true? test it eebee

ps as for guilt trips... ahaha. probably. but i only let myself be guilt tripped if i know its good for me

EEbEE said...

Islamically, it pays to smell nice. Angels are attracted to good fragrance so if you want to be surrounded by Angels (and a general sense of happiness and well-being) always keep the pits breezy and fresh...

i can't understand why the Japanese avoid the use of scent though?

As for vanilla being the sexiest smell for a guy... not really sure about "Sexy" but it is an awesome smell. I'd have to proove this scientifically in any case. now to find some test subjects... ;)

Luke said...

Vanilla is good! I love that smell! It's so nice!

As for random smells that you find interesting, I have to confess that new-book smell and new-CD smell are two of my favourite smells. I don't think I could eat a new-book flavoured muffin, but I like them all the same. Oh, and new-car smell! That's always fantastic! Before it starts to smell of take-aways and stale air...

Helen said...

I like the smell of steam (you know when you boil the kettle and stand nearby waiting for tea...

And the smell in a hairdressers (hot hair and styling products, and cinnamon. Cinnamon and vanilla are the winners (AND they taste good too!)

Can i have a ferret-bagel now please?

EEbEE said...

Luke i always think that new books have a faint smell of sausage... perhaps the carnivore in you is trying to break out ;)

The closest smell to steam that i happen to like helen is freshly laundered or ironed clothes. MmmmmMmmmm!

(PS, one ferret bagel to go coming up)