Thursday, June 4, 2009

Something different... a by chance meeting

The nice thing about having a blog with 'arbitrary' as a title component is that I really have freedom to speak my mind and thoughts. Usually it's just random crap but occasionally something serious comes along and as much as I like my posts to amuse people, it's necessary for me to avoid doing so too often or I might end up having a themed blog (something I fear I have been drifting slowly towards).


So back to the post that will dismiss any thoughts of logical structured themes and predictable posting.


Last night I had a dream. It was a strange one (strange that I remember it so clearly for one…). I dreamt that I was hanging out with my old friend from school, Merron or Mave for those who knew him. For those who don’t, Mave was a great guy and something of a role model for the people that take things as they come, chilled out and morally outstanding. I refer to him in the past tense because Mave lost his life in a helicopter crash. To be honest, he survived the actual crash; it was his heroic efforts to save the helicopter pilot that ended in tragedy.


So back to my dream…


It was one of those realistic ones that you can’t tell apart from reality till something very odd happens. In any case it starts with me doing some fieldwork and all of a sudden I bump into Mave out in the middle of nowhere. I turned around and there he was just standing there in front of a yellow-brown 4x4 with this massive grin on his face.


‘Mave!? is that you!!! Holy crap dude’.


I run over and give him a hug to see if he is real. Mave invites me to come for a drive with him. I agree and we take this very leisurely drive along a dirt road to nowhere. Deep in conversation all the while we chat about the old school days, what he has been doing and a bunch of stuff that I can’t recall as well. Eventually we reach a small house alone in a valley. This is where he has been all this time, just hiding out and living a simple life, a life away from all the hassles and stress associated with average human life. I’m just beginning to understand why he had chosen to leave in the first place when he takes me inside to meet his girlfriend.


To be more precise, his girlfriend Katey Perry… and that’s the moment I realised it was a dream and woke up…


Sigh! It was just a dream… Yet Mave’s personality was captured so perfectly (apart from his taste in girls). It was so real up to that point. Did I really chat to my long lost friend. Was that his soul I had conversed with? Call me a silly, superstitious, so and so but I’d like to think that it was.


I had met my friend and shared words with him. We had a nice time catching up. He was happy and I was happy that I had found him. I looked into his eyes and saw no deception, only a friendly and honest guy, a guy I used to know once upon a time.


It was good


Cheerio Mave! Hope you are well where ever you are.

PS. Stay away from that Katey Perry chick, she is nasty and annoying ;)


4 comments:

Helen said...

That's such a nice dream (besides the Katie Perry thing). I've enver had a dream like that, but peope I know are often in my dreams and they're so vivid I get confused about what really happened and what was the dream...

EEbEE said...

You must have had a dream that you were doing fieldwork helen!?

but yeak i agree with you, my dreams are also really difficult to remember and vague 99% of the time.

This one, however, was the other 1%.

sarah said...

i often have dreams like that. sometimes i get to say goodbye to people who have died by dreaming about them.

i`m glad you dreamt that, eebs

nowadays i dream about sushi :)

EEbEE said...

dreams are tricky. They are probably the only hard evidence we all have of the existence of our souls.

Probably indicative of where we are in our lives and what we crave.

whether it be people we once knew or... sushi ;)

So... i'm curious. Can you eat your own body mass in ice-cream Sarahlaria?