Tuesday, May 26, 2009

It'll never be the same...

Since starting work on my MSc in fruit and sugar selection in birds, I've noticed that my own fruit consumption levels have dropped quite considerably. I used to eat around three a day (mostly blended together in a smoothie, but that counts...). Now perhaps one a week.

Could it be that I spend too much time writing about fruits? Perhaps I'm just sick of them? No... that's not it... it had to be something else.

Do you know what it was?

It was all because scientists, in their effort to impress other people, constantly refer to 'fruits' as 'the reproductive organs of plants' in their work. What's wrong with just saying 'I looked at some fruit...'. It just makes me feel dirty. Every time I eat a fruit I'm guilty of 'feasting on the reproductive organs' of innocent plants. I can almost picture myself sitting on the floor in a dark corner while I eat an orange. Geez imagine the animal equivalent! "okay honey I'm off to Ovary and Testicle City to pick up a bunch of _______" (okay I can't go on, I'll starve to death if I carry on down this road...)

EEwww!!!

No thanks. I'll stick to non reproductive organ food like t-bone steaks and... chopped liver. With pasta and cheese...

So there.

PLEASE! someone convince me otherwise.

9 comments:

po said...

Haha! I work all day with plants, and I never eat fruit.

For some reason I hate fruit, it is most distressing. Now I will be picturing "reproductive organs"... I am never going to be able to eat fruit!

sarah said...

gross, eebs. thanks for giving us all your neurosis.

:)

EEbEE said...

Sorry guys.
We need a Hippie vegan to spur us on in the right direction.

Where is Kathleen when you need her!?

Jessica Jane said...

Eeebee, now really, it's not all that bad.

You haven't deprived the fruits of their ability to reprduce...they've had their fun (which is the important part), it's actualy their babies you're eating so that's not half as bad.

Imagine heading off to 'Bab City' instead of 'Testicles etc City' - it isn't half as bad! :) (just kidding)

This reminds me... my students showed me some disturbing pictures of people in China eating baby soup - human baby soup. Pretty rough stuff. My tolerance of 'other' cultures does NOT stretch that far. Luckily my students were also pretty grossed out...but they were laughing...the little fuckers. I guess teh step from dog soup to human baby soup isn't THAT big...

EEbEE said...

hmmm... babies v reproductive organs?

hmmmmmmmm....


no i can't decide which is more evil.
You're not helping Jess! You may as well have said Dolphins hearts.

(also the only thing you will find when you go to baby city is nappies...and fisherprice. you haven't even thought of the supply and demand issues. tut tut)

The baby soup thing freaked me out i have to say. you needn't forward any pictograms.

EEbEE said...

point taken though!
:)

Luke said...

You'd eat chopped liver...?!

Luke said...

Wait! You'd eat lamb, but a juvenile cashew and you'd have an issue?!

EEbEE said...

is that so hard to believe luke?

(and no... i can't think of a better response than that.)