Friday, May 8, 2009

Tribute to a fish

Last week my algea eater died. He was around 5 months old.(Not my algae eater but he looked just like this one.)

I wish I had named him so I could refer to him as something other than 'that algea eater' but boys don't name fish (we name cars). What can I say, I'll miss the way he sucked on the glass, the rocks, the wood, the plants, the gravel, the air tubes and the heater (ouch! guess he wasn't that bright a fish...). Always with that...sucking... bobbing movement (like someone being electrocuted whilst simultaneously trying to iron a shirt).

I notice he is gone whenever I look at my fish tank because I guess I sort of miss the little guy (also the algae is starting to build up a bit everywhere).

So here's to you

...Mr A. Eater.

I hope that you are happily sucking away at something, considerably more pleasant than what my humble tank had to offer, in your new home where ever it may be (seriously, where do dead fish go?)

3 comments:

Luke said...

What kissable lips it had...here's to you fishy!

sarah said...

they go to the big toilet bowl in the sky... according to some elementary kids i once taught

RIP fish. even though fish freak me out. RIP

Jessica Jane said...

Yup, I have had a few fish deaths in my life as an aquarium keeper and the fastest way to fish heaven is throughthe loo.

I sure you hope you flushed him Eebee, otherwise who know where he might have neded up?

Don't know if I told you but we have a fish tank in our little home in SK.

Had a rough start as the water here seems to have a very high nutrient load and if one doesn't change some of it once a week it gets toxic very quickly and they die in droves. As I say, we learnt the hard way.

But now that I have verified my theory of the high nutrient load by an experioment (Ask me details if you like) I regularly replace the water (about 20% at a time) and things are going much better!